Monday, May 5, 2014

Cross-techniquing - uh what?

I don't think there is such a word as cross-techniquing, but I am sure there is indeed a term for learning a technique used commonly in Art/Craft Number 1, then using that same technique in Art/Craft Number 2.  What I have in mind is a technique used in textile arts, where you make machine cords by zigzagging on the sewing machine, down strips of fabric, in which the fabric is totally enclosed by the stitches, which gathers it into a cord.  (For those who don't know how to make this, see Linda Matthews here)
What I have done is to take a large number of these cords, and joined them all together with more zig zags.  I rolled this large number of cords into a ball (as in a ball of knitting yarn) to stop them tangling - as I left all the end threads on for effect, this was a real challenge.  Then I used the weaving technique I learnt in Lizzie Emery's workshop (see previous post) to make a small basket.
Machine made cords as a basket - detail©Christine Linton
 If anyone knows of a real word for cross-techniquing, I'd love to hear from you in the Comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment