Monday, July 29, 2013

Two-eyed needle - more experiments

I started thinking what else I could do with a a two-eyed needle, so I started to use a Twisted Chain Stitch on canvas, using two complementary colours - purple and yellow.  After stitching a very boring straight line downwards, I went back up it making loops with the threads, securing after each pair of loops so that they wouldn't unravel.  As I reached the top, I realised this reminded me of the effect of the Cootamundra Wattle blooms, which are the tiniest little spherical stamens; together a tree in bloom looks like a curtain of golden yellow threads.  The leaves are a blueish-green, with tiny leaflets radiating in lines of pairs from the stem.
Cootamundra Wattle tree - sadly this beautiful specimen has been cut down©Christine Linton
The blooms of a Cootamundra Wattle©Christine Linton
I have previously embroidered one:
Embroidered Cootamundra Wattle bloom (turkey stitch/Giordes knot) and leaflets (detached chains) with stem stitch for the actual stems.©Christine Linton
This is the two-needle experiment that has given me the idea of a different way to embroider this, my favourite tree.

To find out more about this lovely tree, try this page.

No comments:

Post a Comment