Anyway, I realised that if I was going to complete this project and relieve it of a life at the top of the cupboard, I would have to find another way. I decided to do the obvious and put hinges on the pages in such a way that it would lie flat and the pages could be turned normally. Being two silk pages with cotton batting in between and being hand-quilted (back when I could still hand-quilt) it needed something fairly delicate. A rivet hole was going to be too harsh and heavy, dragging on the fabric and out of keeping.
I can't hand stitch holes any more so I tried a sample piece of machine stitching a circle, free motion stitching (feed dogs down, darning foot on, straight stitch). Using plain white thread, this worked well.
|The circular hole machine stitched around 3 or 4 times|
Next step - cords to tie through the holes, which had been cut open with a seam ripper and applique scissors (carefully!). Here's how I used some strips of silk scraps to make machine cords (switch to zig zag, size 4 worked well) - the rest of the above machine settings remain the same. Twist the strip round and round while anchored by the needle through the strip - have about an inch (a few centimetres) sticking out at the top to grab hold of - then feed the strip through. The zig zag will keep the twist in and make a cord. I made one for each hole (five) and fed them through, cut the ends off and tied each in a reef knot. I did pull up the knots loosely at first and checked that the pages were turning comfortably, then tightened the knots.
|The book with the tied hinges|